Saturday, February 19, 2011

Take Up Thy Cross and Follow Me

One weekend, when I was 25 years old, I was invited to go to a Missions Conference with a vanload of students from the Baptist Campus Ministries group from Jacksonville State (Ala.), where I was in my first year there as a student. I wasn’t interested in the conference, but I was interested in getting out of Jacksonville for the weekend, so I rode along.
That Friday night, 30 years ago today (Feb. 20), I committed my life to the Lord. Until then, I didn't know what having Jesus as the Lord of my life meant.
As the son of a Southern Baptist pastor, I had grown up in church. I knew all the Bible stories. I knew all the right answers. I had the head knowledge. But Jesus did not rule in my heart as the Lord of my life. Then, at Binkley Chapel on the Southeastern Seminary campus in Wake Forest, N.C., through the preaching of William Hendricks and the music of Ken Medema, the scales fell from my eyes, and that knowledge was opened to understanding.
I didn't know what the future would hold (still don't), but I knew I didn't want to face it without God. And I promised Him I'd go anywhere He wanted me to go and do anything He wanted me to do. And I've tried to follow that promise since. I'm still open to going anywhere He wants me to go, and doing anything He wants me to do.
I wish everyone could have that same experience, to come to the point in their lives where they understand what really following Jesus means. It gave me a sense of purpose and direction I had never known before, and turned my life completely around.
Matthew 16:24 immediately became an important verse to me, where Jesus said, “If anyone wishes to come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross, and follow me.” Simply put Jesus is asking us to forfeit our lives to Him and let Him decide how we’re to live them. Of course that’s easier said than done, but studying the Bible as often as you can, every day if you can, and praying makes it a more attainable goal. As Christians we shouldn't make decisions without God's guidance.
Another passage from Matthew that soon became important to me was The Great Commission, in chapter 28, verses 18-20. Jesus assured His disciples just before He ascended into Heaven, “And lo I AM with you alway, even unto the end of the world.” I took that assurance to heart.
Ironically, of course, these are considered to be “missions” verses, and even though I wasn’t interested in missions before I left for that weekend, I am now, and have been since. I may not get paid to be a missionary, but I certainly feel called and ordained by God to be a missionary, and feel that call is meant for every other Christian as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment